Posts

The US Supreme Court: Five Facts About the Court

Image
The US Supreme Court: Five Facts About the Court Remember when you were back in ninth grade. You are trying to stay awake in U.S History class. The teacher is talking about the three branches of government. That's when you can't stay up any longer, your head slips out of your hand, and winds up making a CRUNCH sound on the desk. It is at that time, you realize that one day, coming up soon, that you are going to be tested on this ... material and you should probably stay up and learn it. Well, today is that quiz you've been dreading since High School!

The question is, "How many branches of government are there?" The answer, so I don't keep you in suspense is three: 1) executive, legislative, and 3) judicial. Out of the three branches, the Judicial doesn't make as much noise (I'm sorry, I mean newsworthy items) as the other two branches. Most of the time, you hear of the Judiciary branch when a new law is passed, someone retires, or someone is voted in…

A Hundred and Twenty Miles to Intercourse PA

Image
A Hundred and Twenty Miles to Intercourse, PA There is nothing more nerve-racking, enjoyable, and time-consuming than packing a kid for vacation. Seriously. In one instance, you're happy that they are leaving the house. A little bit of peace and quiet. On the other hand, you're child us out there, without you, in the world. Will they remember their manners? Will they remember to keep their hands to themselves? More importantly, will they forget to say 'Thank You' when the time is right? Will they at least wear pants?

For a second, you try to breathe easy, lowering your heart rate. I have spent all of my time since "Day One" raising these kids from godless heathens to respectable children! They know what to do. They have been trained by the best! When there were gaps in your parenting knowledge, there were shows like, "Super Nanny," who could shut a room of five children in five minutes are less. I've put all of my knowledge into my child's …

Youth, Democracy, and Voting: The Future of the Ballot Box

Image
Youth, Democracy, and Voting: The Future of the Ballot Box"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%." - Thomas Jefferson (4) Democracy is a messy business. You have to agree on laws. Get people to see your point of view.  Even listen to subjects that you might not be interested in. All of this effort, so at the end of the day, you can put your vote forward and hopefully be on the winning side. Even Thomas Jefferson, the second president of the United States, even stated that in a democracy 51% of the people actually get their way while the other 49% are left disgruntled. Why do we do it? Democracy involves participation (for better or worse) from its members. Everyone who can vote as defined by the fifteenth amendment, nineteenth, and twenty-sixth amendments of the U.S. Constitution. Today, we are talking about the twenty-sixth amendment, section 1: (6) "


Twenty-sixth Amendment
Twenty-sixth Amendment - The…

Father's Day

Image
Father's Day "St Augustus Cemetery" is one of those places people drive past reaching ninety on a fifty-five mile per hour road. It sits quietly, under a layer of grey clouds, except for the chorus of crickets on a summer evening. Stretching a few acres north, the premier is defined with a black wrought fence, small house close to the entrance, and a sign over the gate with "St. Augustus Cemetary" in medieval lettering.
My car drives up to the front gate. I drive a late nineteen ninety-nine Ford Focus, with tan cloth interior, and a midnight blue exterior. Parts of the interior roof is coming down and held together with thumbtacks. In the passenger's side of the front seat, I had a few flowers tied together, wrapped in plastic. Leaving the engine on, I unlock the gate, walk to the house and sign the book (saying who I was visiting). My son, eight years old, is restless in the backseat, plays with his dinosaurs as I take care of business. 
Upon entering &qu…

Bloglovin: Nick Stockton: Be the Blog is waiting for you!

Image
Bloglovin: Nick Stockton: Be the Blog is waiting for you!
"Nick Stockton: Be The Blog" is now accessible on BlogLovin'! So, if you're a regular reader on BlogLovin' you can integrate all of your Nick Stockton articles in the same place. Also, stop calling it McLovin! It's BlogLovin' .... with a "B" ...

https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/nick-stockton-19495949

Flipboard: Nick Stockton: Be The Blog - The Magazine

Image
Flipboard: Nick Stockton: Be The Blog - Magazine

Hey Everybody,

Have you ever heard of "Flipboard"? Located at: http://www.flipboard.com it is a news aggregator site like Google News, Apple News, StumbleUpon, Digg, and countless others. It takes the RSS feeds from your favorite news sources and creates a webpage with information that you like to read. Well, someone had a crazy idea of taking my blog posts and turning them into a "News Magazine". That crazy person was me. I'm sorry. Somebody had to do it. So, along with getting hard-hitting news, great reporting, wonderful world insights: you know -  the stuff people actually care about ... you can also read "Nick Stockton: Be The Blog".

https://flipboard.com/@nickstockto2017/nick-stockton%3A-be-the-blog-jgk09uvsy
Thank you for reading, Nick Stockton

A Few Facts About Fathers

Image
A Few Facts About Fathers
Guess what? Father's Day is around the corner and you know what that means. Time to pay homage to dear old Dad for ... whatever your Dad did back in the day to make you the person you are today. Parenting has changed over the last forty years. s a young kid, you would watch re-runs of "My Three Sons", or, "Leave it to Beaver" and saw Dad come home, put on his Mr. Rogers slippers, and the wife would be doing everything. Being a Dad changes you reset your priorities, and the world of fatherhood has changed as well. Recently, I read an article about Fatherhood from the Pew Research Center, which talks about some of these changes.
"Dads see parenting as central to their identity.Some 57% of fathers said this in a 2015 survey by the Center, compared with 58% of mothers. Like moms, many dads also seem to appreciate the benefits of parenthood: 54% reported that parenting is rewarding all of the time, as did 52% of moms. Meanwhile, 46% of…